Effective Date: 2/1/2019
The protection and security of your personal data are important to Ascensia. This Privacy Statement tells you how we collect, use, share, and protect your personal data, and together with the website Terms and Conditions, applies to your use of www.aboundcare.com (Website). This Privacy Statement applies solely to personal data collected through the Ascensia Website, online services, and web pages that post, specifically reference and incorporate this Privacy Statement, whether accessed via computer, mobile device or other device.
Our Website is operated by Ascensia Diabetes Care US Inc. (Ascensia) of 5 Wood Hollow Road, Parsippany, NJ, 07054 United States, who is the controller of your personal data processed via this Website. Ascensia is a subsidiary of Ascensia Diabetes Care Holdings AG of Switzerland.
Please read this Privacy Statement to understand how Ascensia may process your personal data provided via our Website.
- Information We Collect About You
- How We Use Your Information
- Sharing Your Personal Data
- Storing Your Personal Data
- Keeping your Personal Data Secure
- Google Analytics
- Opting out of cookies
- Exercising Your Rights
- Links to Third Party Sites
- Changes to this Privacy Statement
- Contact Us
You hereby agree with and consent to the collection and processing of your personal data as described in this Privacy Statement. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time as explained in the “Exercising Your Rights” section below.
You are not required to provide any personal data as a condition of using our Website. Where you submit personal data to us, Ascensia will process your personal data for the following purposes:
- Communications via our Website: If you complete an online registration or web form, where you contact us with an inquiry or request and similar situations in which you have chosen to provide the information to us, we will process the information to respond to your request including for customer services support.
- Products or Services You Request: Where you request a product or service from us, we will collect your personal data in order to process your request. Our distributors may also share with us personal data that you provide to them when you buy an Ascensia product or otherwise contact them following a purchase.
When you communicate with us via our Website, the types of information we may collect from you include, but is not limited to: name, postal address, email address, phone number, your place of employment or health insurance carrier.
- Information About Your Device: When you use our Website, we will automatically receive technical information, including the name of your internet service provider, the website that you used to link to our Website, the websites that you visit from our Website, the type of device you use, a unique device identifier (such as your device IMEI number, MAC address of the device’s wireless network interface, or the mobile phone number used by the device, mobile network information your operating system and software version number, IP address, the type of browser you use, the country and language code and time zone setting. We do not use this information to identify any individual.
Your personal data may be collected, processed and stored by Ascensia or its services providers in the United States and other countries where our servers reside. Please be aware that the privacy protections and legal requirements, including the rights of authorities to access your personal data, in some of these countries may not be equivalent to those in your country. You hereby agree with and consent to the transfer of your personal data to the United States and other countries where Ascensia operates.
2. How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal data:
- to present our Website and its contents to you;
- to process any request for a product or service you make;
- to enable us to respond to an inquiry or other request you make when you contact us via our Website, including for customer services support;
- to continue to develop, test and improve our Website, including to offer new functionality and features;
- to develop new products and services;
- to provide information and product updates;
- to evaluate Ascensia product performance and safety;
- for research, evaluation of use, and troubleshooting purposes;
- to better understand how you interact with our Website, including its functionality and features, and ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner;
- to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and Ascensia;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our Website, when you choose to do so; and
- For any other purpose with your consent.
For our legitimate business purposes relating to direct marketing, and where required, on the basis of your consent, we may process your personal data:
- to invite you to participate in surveys or opinion groups or other promotional and marketing activities concerning our products and services, including in conjunction with selected third party partners;
- to make suggestions and recommendations about products or services that may interest you, as described in the “Marketing” section below; and
- to measure and understand the effectiveness of advertising we may serve and to deliver relevant advertising.
In order to comply with local legal and regulatory requirements, we may process your personal data:
- as necessary if we need to issue a safety notice or corrective action related to any of our products or services, or
- to report events to governmental or regulatory authorities that are responsible for medical devices and/or telemedicine policies, including related to medical device reimbursement and funding.
We may contact you to tell you about products and services that we feel may be of interest to you or that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about.
You may be contacted by us, Ascensia Diabetes Care Holdings AG, a distributor of Ascensia products, or by one of our selected partners, in each case where you have consented to receive these communications.
You may opt out of receiving our marketing communications at any time by contacting us at email@example.com or (888) 890-8577 or by using the unsubscribe link in any of our communications.
We will continue to contact you for non-marketing related purposes where we need to issue a field corrective or safety notice, or to where we need to send certain information to you under a legal, regulatory, or ethical requirement.4. Sharing Your Personal Data
We do not rent or sell your personal data to anyone. Ascensia may disclose personal data that we collect or you provide as described in this Privacy Statement:
- to Ascensia Diabetes Care Holdings AG, the details of which are listed on our Website at http://diabetes.ascensia.com/en/contact-us;
- to our selected partners where you have chosen to participate in surveys, opinion groups or other marketing-related initiatives relating to your use of our products and services;
- to a prospective seller or buyer in the event of a sale or purchase of any Ascensia business or asset so that the buyer can continue to provide you with information and services;
- to contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal data confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them;
- for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information; and
- with your consent.
We may also disclose your personal data where required:
- to respond to authorized requests from government authorities or where required by law, including for national security;
- to enforce or apply our Website Terms and Conditions, this Privacy Statement or other agreements; and
- to investigate or protect the rights, property or safety of Ascensia and our group companies, our products and services and our customers, distributors or business partners or to prevent or take action regarding illegal activities or fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person or as evidence in litigation.
Ascensia will store your information for as long as we have to by law, and where there is no legal requirement, we will only store it for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected as described in this Privacy Statement. To determine the appropriate period for storing personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
6. Keeping Your Personal Data Secure
Ascensia implements appropriate administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your personal data. We will use strict procedures and security features, including cryptographic techniques, and take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure your personal data is processed securely and in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
Please note that the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although Ascensia will do its best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted via our Website and any transmission is at your own risk.
This Privacy Statement is meant to guide Ascensia with respect to personal data collect from or about you through the Website. While this Privacy Statement applies to personal data generally, the local laws, rules and regulations of jurisdictions that are applicable to Ascensia, including, but not limited to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”) (“Local Laws”) may require standards which are stricter than this Privacy Statement and, in such event, Ascensia will comply with applicable Local Laws to the extent applicable to Ascensia. Specific privacy policies may be adopted to address the specific privacy requirements of particular jurisdictions.
We use the following cookies on our Website:
- Strictly necessary cookies: Required for the operation of our Website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Website, to move around the Website and to use its features.
- Analytical/performance cookies: Allowing Ascensia to recognize and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our Website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies: These recognize you when you return to our Website. This enables us to personalize our content for you, for example, your choice of language or region.
- Targeting cookies: These cookies record your visit to our Website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our Website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
Some of these are persistent cookies that may be used if you log on to restricted areas of our Website to remember who you are. Others are session cookies that may be used for anonymous identification of a website visit for technical purposes only. Session cookies are stored only temporarily during the browsing sessions and are deleted once the browser is closed.
- to improve our Website security;
- to analyze how you use our Website by tracking specific actions on our Website, such as visits to the various pages of our Website;
- to collect anonymous statistical information on how visitors use our Website so that we can make improvements to its usability and to improve content delivery value;
- to optimize our advertising by ensuring we can deliver on other websites advertising to those who visit our Website;
- to allow us to assess the success of our advertising by identifying events (such as registrations, checkouts, etc.) on our Website which happened as a direct result of our advertising; and
- to make sure our advertising on other websites is relevant to you.
8. Google Analytics
We use Google Analytics cookies to collect information and compile reports about how visitors use our Website, and we use this information to help us improve our Website. Google Analytics mainly uses first-party cookies which are not shared across different websites that you visit. The information that the cookies collect is mostly anonymous and includes the number of visitors to the Website, where those visitors originate from and how many times they have visited the Website. Google has published information in relation to Privacy and safeguarding data.
Google Analytics will collect your IP address, which is a unique code assigned to every computer and device connected to the Internet. IP addresses are usually assigned in geographic blocks and may allow website operators to identify the country, state and city in which the computer or device is based. We may collect either the full or a portion of an IP addresses to help us identify the location of our website visitors. Google Analytics will also collect demographic and interests information, including age and gender, where available in the cookie.
Google Analytics also uses third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) on websites where Google Analytics Advertising Features are used, such as Remarketing or AdWords. Our use of Google Analytics’ Remarketing feature allows targeted and relevant advertising to be delivered to you when you browse elsewhere on the internet. This feature can also work cross-device where you have a Google account and you have chosen to enable Google to associate your web browsing history with your account and to use information from your account to personalize advertising you see across the internet. When you’re signed-in to your Google account, Google will use your data together with the analytics data they obtain by the third-party cookies on our Website to serve better advertising on other websites you visit and based on your past browsing habits. In order to support this feature, Google will collect user’s Google-authenticated identifiers.
More information in relation to these advertising cookies can be found at http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/technologies/ads/. You may opt-out of these features by visiting Google’s Ads Settings.
9. Opting Out of Cookies
You may refuse to accept cookies by altering the settings on your internet browser (for example Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox). Please note that if you choose not to permit cookies some areas of our Website may not function properly or be accessible.
In general, by consulting the help menu item in your internet browser, instructions on how to disable or delete cookies is available. Most browsers are set-up to accept these cookies automatically. In addition, you can deactivate the storing of cookies or adjust your browser to inform you before the cookie is stored on your computer.
Please note though, that if you delete your cookies:
- We will no longer know that you've opted out of online behavioral advertising, so the banners from our third-party advertisers will reappear when you visit other selected websites.
- We will no longer automatically recognize that you have agreed to our Privacy Statement and will ask for confirmation of this.
Our Website is not intended for children under 18 years of age. No one under age 18 may provide any personal data on the Website. We do not knowingly collect or use via our Website any personal data of anyone we know to be under 18 years old without the prior affirmative, verifiable consent of his or her parent/guardian. A parent/guardian has the right, upon request, to view the information provided by their child and/or to require that it be deleted. If we discover that a child has provided us with personal data online through our Website, we will take reasonable steps to delete this data. If you are a parent/guardian with any concerns regarding your child’s personal data in connection with our Website, please contact Ascensia at firstname.lastname@example.org or (888) 890-8577 or by mail Ascensia Diabetes Care US Inc., 5 Wood Hollow Road, Parsippany, NJ, 07054, United States.
11. Exercising Your Rights
Where you have been asked to consent to the processing of your personal data, we will provide you with an opportunity to withdraw your consent. You can withdraw consent, such as by contacting us using our contacts details below. In each case you will be given information about how to withdraw consent. Any withdrawal of consent will not affect the lawfulness of the processing based on your consent before the withdrawal. Please also note that where you withdraw consent, we will only stop processing your personal data that relates to the withdrawal of consent.
Under California’s “Shine the Light Law”, California residents who provide personal information in obtaining products or services for personal, family, or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us, once a calendar year, information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of customer information and the name and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year. To obtain this information on behalf of Ascensia, please send an email message to email@example.com with “Request for California Privacy Information” on the subject line and in the body of your message. We will provide the requested information to you at your email address in the response. Please be aware that not all information is covered by the ‘Shine the Light” requirements and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
To exercise any of your rights in connection with your personal data, please contact Ascensia at firstname.lastname@example.org or (888) 890-8577 or Ascensia Diabetes Care US Inc., 5 Wood Hollow Road, Parsippany, NJ, 07054, United States. We will process any request in line with any local laws and our policies and procedures.
12. Links to Third Party Sites
Our Website may contain links to other third-party websites that are not governed by this Privacy Statement. Although we endeavor to link only to websites with high privacy standards, this Privacy Statement will no longer apply once you leave our Website.
Links to other websites are provided for information only and do not constitute endorsements of those other websites. Ascensia and/or its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of links or third-party websites and do not make any representation regarding their content or accuracy. Your use of third-party websites is at your own risk.
We may implement applications or “widgets” from third party providers (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) that allow interaction, integration or content sharing with third party services. These widgets or applications may be visible on a page you visit on our Website or may require log-in through the third party provider’s service. The third party providing the widget or integration may offer controls for you to manage your interactions. Any interaction with a third party widget or application typically allows the third party to collect some information about you (whether through cookies, registration information or otherwise). These third parties may even track you when you do not interact with the widget. If you have engaged any of these third party service providers, their respective privacy policies will govern their tracking and collection of information. You should review these third party policies to understand these practices.13. Changes to This Privacy Statement
Any changes we make to our Privacy Statement in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our Privacy Statement.14. Contact Us
Questions, comments and requests regarding this Privacy Statement are welcomed and should be addressed to Ascensia at email@example.com or (888) 890-8577 or to Ascensia Diabetes Care US Inc., 5 Wood Hollow Road, Parsippany, NJ, 07054, United States. If you contact us, we will do our utmost to address any concerns you may have about our processing of your personal data.